Thursday, November 13, 2014

Believers of the Sound

Individuals often seek activities that bring them comfort and explanation for moral dilemmas; music/sound, in similar ways to religion, has served that purpose for centuries. Oral presentation of sacred teachings has occurred since the formation of religion, as the original method for teaching. As such, the presentation of stories or values through music is a very appealing emotional experience. At concerts, we are not only doused in the physical nature of the music and lyrics, but we are surrounded by a community of individuals who have similar thoughts, bearing a striking resemblance to the religious service experience. Matthew Moore's article Take Me to Church: The Religious Experience of a Concert, illustrates the "[power] about singing songs together as a community," through the "emotions that wash over you when you hear a room full of people singing the words of your favorite song together." 
There was a stark difference between my first concert experience (a rave) and my most recent concert, Jake Bugg, one of my favorite artists. The former was a surreal experience, mixed with confusion and jam-packed energy, but alongside many friends. The latter, on the other hand, was more calm and formal, where I only knew one other person in the room. Ironically, I felt more comfort at the latter where I was able to engage with the artist as soon as he began to sing. I felt part of a greater community with strangers singing in passionate unison, than in the presence of a large group of friends. 
I can only equate the feeling to reciting the "Our Father" during mass. While I have not been to mass in a very long time, I can very tangibly recall the overwhelming emotion that would come over me as I recited the prayer alongside a room full of fellow believers. In this way, sound and/or music transcends past the individual and simultaneously strikes a chord with a larger community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment