Thursday, October 30, 2014

Belief in the Unknown


Jane Iwamura points out the power of belief in the Dalai Lama’s omnipresence, and other Western assumptions about the spiritual power of Eastern civilization and culture. In doing so she made me examine the support of such assumptions in my own life. Each morning before leaving my dorm for class, I am sure to make sure I have four things: my room keys, iPhone, Nike Fuelband and a bracelet made mahogany colored beads. I can adequately explain the significance of three items and their impact of my daily activities, but the beaded bracelet represents orientalization taking shape in my own life. My best friend’s brother is a strong advocate of the power that accompanies carrying good Karma, not putting too much value in material objects and being in tune with the natural settings around you. He gave me the bracelet. During his travels throughout Cambodia, this friend spent times with Monks at their Monastery and received this bracelet as a gift from the Monks at the end of his stay. My friend told me that the Monks blessed the bracelet, and it will bring the owner luck, piece of mind and the confidence to deal with the problems of everyday life. Constructing a method to achieve these ends came to me in the form an item that may or may not be the ideals of a culture I lack knowledge about. A group of others.

The process of othering based on cultural assumptions is an instinctual reaction for many Americans. Beyond the illustration of difference in popular culture, the supposed practices of Eastern culture allow Americans to have a definitive representation of the sacred. Even though the distinction of certain practices is an honor, it assumes the form of something that functions similar to a curse throughout Orientalization practices. What is seen as sacred is then internalized as unordinary. Mediation, yoga, Buddhist pratices and other markers of Eastern culture give Americans an escape from our society’s flaws, such as technology dependency and an addiction to instant gratification products. Our search for the next “new” thing stemming from an unfamiliar culture often leads to labeling based on stereotypes and racial/ethnic generalizations. More often than not, our actions lead by stereotyping mislead us to think traditions in existence for thousands of years are in fact, new. This disillusionment gives Americans the impression that we are more worldly, holistic individuals. In fact, our scope of cultural practices throughout the remainder of the Western world expanding into the East becomes narrower.

No comments:

Post a Comment