Thursday, September 25, 2014

Campus Life: the Sacred & the Sporty Clothes

    In our jammed-packed lives, we’re practically running from one event to another. Many of us on campus are physically active as well, so it’s not uncommon in class to see people in sport’s clothes coming from the gym or about to hit the track. But how about during services?
     I asked a Jewish friend of mine if being religious shaped how she dressed. We agreed that as Jewish and Catholic students, we perhaps dressed more conservatively than most, especially during services.
     “But sometimes I wear sports clothes to service, because I simply don’t have time to change before,” Jane* said. And I agreed. Many other students, including myself, have shown up to services a tad sweaty. I’d say there’s at least one person in sportswear at our Sunday Mass. 

      “It’s something about the space too” Jane commented, “We have services in the Hub [a public event space on campus], and it’s not like going to Temple. Nor is the Chapel like going to Mass for you, I bet. Knowing that during concerts a cappella groups drink beer on that alter makes it, I don’t know, different.”
     And she was right. For me, the modest, white Protestant Chapel did not have the same amount of sacredness for me as my home parish with its kneelers, stained glass, and incense in the air.
     For Jane and I, the casual campus vibe and our busy, active lives pervade into our sacred space. The spaces for our services were also more casual than what we were used to, less traditional. Maybe that’s a reason why us students feel its ok to be sporty and worship: the buildings themselves are such a mix of the typical “college life” and the religious.
*name changed 

No comments:

Post a Comment